Before I go on to the OPTIONAL items, I'd like to share what I feel to be the absolute necessities that should be kept on hand when keeping and breeding Gouldians and other small finches. The following list is what I keep on hand at ALL times, regardless of how many birds or what season they are cycling through.
Hand Rearing Supplies
Electrolyte replacement formula
Several 1cc syringes
Hand Feeding Formula
Gram Stain Supplies
Heat source for fixing slides
Tweezers & Swabs
Blood Stop Powder
KRISTEN REEVES, MEADOWLARK FARMS AVIAN SUPPLY, INC.
This following will give you an idea of some of the more OPTIONAL items you may want to keep on hand if you keep more than one bird, or are going to breed them.
Spatula for scraping poop
Large Spoon for mixing feed
- A top quality seed blend created for the SPECIES you are keeping. No species will eat exactly the same seed mix. It is your responsibility to research and discover what seeds your birds should be eating, or if you keep softbills, which foods they can and cannot have. Here, we need seed mixes for each of the 4 seasons of the Australian finches we breed, an African seed blend hand-adjusted for the various species, an Asian blend that contains slightly larger seeds for our Munias.
- A top quality VITAMIN SUPPLEMENT such as Dufo Plus usually given 1 or 2x per week (per schedule) year round - always read the directions on your supplements. They will be different depending on manufacturer.
- A top quality IODINE SUPPLEMENT - whether stand alone such as Morning Bird's Liquid Iodine or combined with CALCIUM such as Dr. Rob Marshall's Ioford.
- A top quality CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT - this should be a stand alone product that can be given in case of egg binding or when birds are sitting low on the perch or having trouble passing eggs. We keep Morning Bird's Calcium Plus on hand at all times for just such emergencies.
- A top quality MINERAL GRIT MIX - that contains BOTH soluble and insoluble forms of calcium grit plus essential minerals and a TINY amount of charcoal such as our MLFAS, Inc. Gould-Granules (made for all passerines and small psitticines).
As always, I don't care which BRAND/MANUFACTURER you use as long as you choose ONLY ONE MANUFACTURER and stick to that one manufacturer's products. Manufacturers create their products to work together as a system. More is NOT always better. When you mix brand names or manufacturers, you run the risk of causing either malnutrition, hypo or hypervitaminosis. Unless you've spent your entire birding career - decades - working with finch nutrition as I have, you should NOT mix different brands!!! You could cause serious liver and kidney damage as well as create weakened birds.
- A broad spectrum antibiotic such as Morning Bird's Amoxitex (Amoxicillin) or Morning Bird's Baytril substitute called Enrotex.
- An anti-coccidia medication such as Trimethoprim/Sulfa - which also covers E.coli and Salmonella.
- An alternate for E.coli and Salmonella such as Furaltadone.
- An anti-fungal such as Medistatin for Candida (yeast) and fungal infections.
- An antibiotic cream such as Neosporin or Bacitracin for cuts, scrapes and abrasions.
- A medicated eyewash such as Colloidal Silver for eye infections and injuries.
- An electrolyte solution such as Dr. Rob Marshall's Quik Gel